Archive


Style Icon Pt. 3: Katharine Hepburn


Somehow I feel that Katharine Hepburn doesn't get the credit she deserves. When most people think of the name 'Hepburn' they automatically associate it with Audrey, and while I'm one of the biggest Audrey Hepburn fans that I know, theres a space in my heart reserved soley for Katharine.

Katharine Hepburn has been captivating movie go-ers as the ultimate leading lady since the 1930's with classic hits like Bringing Up Baby, Philadelphia Story and one of my personal favorites Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?, with Sidney Poitier. And in 1999, she was ranked by the American Film Institute as the Greatest Female Star in the history of American cinema, now that was something!


Well, what is it that I appreciate about Katharine's personal style? Well, whats not to appreciate? Her ever wavy brown hair, beautifully sculpted cheekbones and sharp eyes, she was beautiful; a glamorous tom-boy. Katharine was a genuinely sophisticated and classic woman, and that sophistication, which was carried out with the utmost ease was translated into her attire.

Her blouse and trouser combinations seemed out of place to some, in an age of Hollywood glitz and glamour, but that was one of the many qualities that set Katherine apart from other Hollywood actresses. There was also this Country Club Connecticut appeal that I admired in her, she had somewhat snooty New England accent about her-and yet, Katharine was made attractive by her ability to poke fun at herself in various comedic roles as well as her down to earth nature both on and off the screen.

If I had a top ten favorite style icon list, she would definite tie for first place.

"I can't give you anything but love-Baby!" Bringing Up Baby


No comments:

Post a Comment