Archive


Style Profile: Jia Xu

Jia Xu

Occupation? I've been working as a fashion designer since 2005. I designed many different types of clothes for international brands like ZARA, H&M, NEXT, and PUMA as well as some Chinese brands when I was in China. 
I actually came to New York because I wanted to experience a different culture and fashion perspective. Currently I am studying in the Fashion Merchandise Management program at FIT, because I'd like to get into buying.
  
And your hometown? It's Chengdu. The capital city of Sichuan, which is in the southwest of China.



What are your fashion inspirations? Usually I'm inspired by street style photography, fashion catalogues and magazines. Also, some fashion websites like WGSN, Stylesight, and of course, WWD.

Favorite brands? ZARA, Marc Jacobs, Rachel Roy, Anna Sui, Vivienne Westwood, and Celine.



Any fashion don'ts? I don't really refuse any interesting new styles. I used to never wear black before I was 25, because I felt I looked so weird, but now, I think I can handle it! (Haha) Through trial and error I pretty much have an idea of which styles are suitable for me. Every season though, I like to try and find some trendy elements to match my style. 

What are some trends you're anxious to try? Different eras like 1920's flapper dress and finger wave hair style, also the 60's and 70's hippie style are what I'm excited to try out.




So is there anyone who's wardrobe you would swap with if you could? If I could, I would swap with Taylor Tomasi Hill. She's the style and accessories director for US Marie Claire magazine.

And your favorite stores/boutiques to shop at? When I was in China, I pretty much like shopping online. There is a website which name is "Taobao", which is similar to eBay. Trendy people and upcoming designers sell clothes they designed themselves on this website. 

Because I am designer, I have lot of chances to take business trips abroad. So I know some interesting places you can buy some fashionable clothes and accessories. For instance in Hong Kong there's the Lai Chi Kok wholesale market, and in Shanghai there's Qipu road. Also I enjoy visiting Phnom Penh Do Dong Bong Market, and Guangzhou's garment wholesale market. In New York I prefer to go to Soho- there are some sample sale during the summer, like Alexander Wang.



Some people say music has an influence on your personal style. What are you listening to these days? Well, I've always been into music from the 60's. So, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, and The Doors.

No comments:

Post a Comment